Translate

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2 Letters in One POST!

(I Claire, am a terrible updater and sister, so here are leah's past two letters)
 
December 25, 2012
I have a box here with 3 wrapped presents (one from G-ma, one from Aunt Marian, and one from Claire). I am going to open the box and unwrap them in front of the computer and pretend that I am opening them in front of you.
Oh, such a large box, a box a box! I wonder what could be inside...Oooo fuzzy pajamas! how nice! They seem very warm. And fuzzy socks! How did you know? My feet get very cold at night so I have taken to wearing socks to bed. Krave cereal, I know what I'm eating today. And more candy, ooo. We have so much food collectively that we could just eat that and not even go to the cafeteria today. Of course it's all junk food, so we'd feel gross by the end of the day. Some stories from Aunt Mabel, I'll have to read those later. My glasses case, yay! A $25 gift card from the library, I'll probably spend that at the airport. Stationary so I can write people nice notes. SD cards so I can take tons of pictures. Now for the wrapped stuff. First, from Gma...a lovely green, delicate scarf! I may wear this today with something red to look Christmas-y. Next, a box from Aunt Marian...I think I know what this is...swizzle sticks! I don't think I'll be able to eat all of this food! And last from Claire, which I will unwrap carefully because I want to read the comics it is wrapped in...a Gunter sticker and song! Whohooo! Dry erase markers, awesome, no show socks, thank you very much I need those, and in many colors! And a dry erase board to go with the dry erase markers. Thank you. I will use this a lot to practice kanji.
Now for the weekly update:
Wed
I made it into the Christmas Day talent show! I got a card from the MTC. When I first saw it, I thought it was like a 'thanks for trying but we chose someone else' card, but it said "you have been chosen, report Christmas Day to the gym for a mic check." I'll let you know how it goes! This may gross you out, but I have gotten probably a whole entire tablespoon of earwax out of my ears. Weird. We taught the restoration to our investigators, which was encouraging. I wasn't sure how it would go over, but it went well. It affirmed my testimony of the restoration as we taught it. All 5 Japanese sister missionaries did yoga one night. It was envigorating. I lost the back to one of my earrings, but thankfully I have spares. I got the package of food! It was tasty, especially the fruit leather. It was nice to have healthy things to snack on instead of candy.
Thu
I got a package from Aunt Marian (two for two). The 4 American sisters taught our 1 Japanese sister some line dances and the cup game from girl's camp. It was a ton of fun to teach. We sang carols as we got ready for bed. I got a huge bruise on my wrist from playing volleyball. It doesn't hurt, it's just beautiful.
Fri
Sister Johnson, one of the wives of the branch presidency came to visit us. She asked to see pictures of our families, so I showed her the ones on my camera from the airport. I taught Elder Wyndham in a demonstration lesson. I think it was edifying for the both of us. We didn't really go over the subject matter that we were supposed to be demonstrating, but the things that were said needed to be heard. In PE, the buzzer rang to say that PE was over. I threw one last basket and I made it! It was a 3 point shot! Sis Miller got a package from her parents with homemade salsa in it. It was delicious. It made me think of home. I said in class that I would humbly like to partake of Sis Abraham riding a tiger. We all had a good laugh.
Sat
Sis Abraham is a little down. I'm not sure what I can do to cheer her up. Two Elders going to Cambodia stopped by our classroom and chatted. They wrote some of the Cambodian script on our chalkboard. It is very pretty, but I'm not sure how to read it. I have lost exactly two pounds and gained exactly one back. Hurrah. Sis Miller likes to punch the volley ball instead of set it. It's rather funny to watch. In the workshop today, we talked about more effectively using the Book of Mormon. Something that I learned was that 1 Ne 1 is the story of Joseph Smith. A man prays, he has a vision about a book, he talks about it, and he is persecuted for it. There is so much doctrine in those 20 verses.
Sun
Sis Abraham much better today. Abraham Shimai has been called as coordinating sister and two elders from our district (King and Egbert) are the new zone leaders. The older group of missionaries leaves next week. We will miss them. My testimony of the Book of Mormon has grown a lot stronger the past few days since we've been talking about it so much. The Japanese elders and sister had their first taste of salsa. They seemed to like it. We watched a film about the Nephites in the time of Christ's ministry on earth called "The Testaments." The last scene is phenomenal. The rest of the movie is fairly less than expected. The sound design was particularly terrible. Cinematography good, one good actor rest pretty average. Might be worth watching if you can sit through the akward moments.
Mon
The custodial staff have named the vacuums Rasputin and Voldemort. They also brought us cookies for the holidays. Snowed! Gonna be a white Christmas. I gave out my presents to the chorotachi. They're opening them today. Lunch and dinner lines very long because the staff short. We walked in late to the devotional. Ooops. There was a fantastic performance of O Holy Night. They also did a Nativity scene like we do in primary, bathrobes and sheets and all. At first, there was a live baby, but he got too fussy so he got sneakily swapped for a doll. We laughed. Then we watched the George C Scott version of a Christmas Carol! IT was still awesome. We each got a full bag of kettle corn. I couldn't finish it all. The other sisters opened their presents. It was fun. SIs Breck got a Doctor Who shirt. It was cool.

Merry Christmas to you all!
Leah
 
 
January 1, 2013
 
Hello, all. Happy Holidays! Write me more! And now to answer letters:
I didn't get the Nagoya Christmas card, but some of the other people in the MTC did get it and they photocopied it for me. Tianna Breck, Victor Lazaro, Pontus Mikkola, Eduardo Milder, Trever Ockerman, Samuel Richard, Jarem Tano, Jacob Tsukamoto, and Andrew Wilson are/were at the MTC with me. All of them are exceptionally nice except Milder Choro. He's not so nice, but thankfully he's in a different district than us, so we don't have to deal with him all the time. There has been lots of snow here, at least 3 feet, but it doesn't bother us because all of the sidewalks are covered. What did you think of your presents? Dad and Grandma have told me, but what about others? What else did you get? I'm glad you liked the movies and the knife. Good luck in Dallas, Dad! Keep up the good work in the basement, Mom! And good luck on your recertification. Where did you stick the cat tower? How is the new internet doing? The scripture-a-day thing is definitely a spam. I don't get the Ensign out here, but I may get it on my mission. We do have access to lds.org, so I can look up the Ensign if I wish/have time. DO NOT SEND OUT A PHONE. I promise that a phone card will work. It has for hundreds of missionaries before me. I would like your numbers, though.
Tue
Talent show went well. People still stop me to give me compliments. President Hacking (one of the MTC presidency) stopped me after the talent show to say that my personality fit the poem very well. Greg Olsen devotional was basically the talk that mom has on cassette, but he did show a painting that isn't out yet. It is of Jesus and John the Baptist laughing and enjoying each other's company. We watched It's a Wonderful Life, but in color! I fell in love with it all over again.
Wed
We were walking to gym when I noticed something gross on the sidewalk. Abraham Shimai leans down to pick it up and I say "I wouldn't touch that if I were you." She picks it up and turns it inside out...Lo and Behold it is a sock that she lost last week! Far from the laundry room and a week later, Heavenly Father blessed her with a tender mercy. And guess what? Sister Miller, Sister Abraham, and I are famous! A photographer caught a picture of us coming out of  Elder Nelson's devotional and put it in the Deseret News! You can look up the article and picture online, and I'm going to send the newspaper clipping home in a letter (Mack Kaicho gave us the clipping).
Thu
Abraham Shimai got called to the front desk as she was getting out of the shower. We hurried to get presentable and rush there to find that they had found one of her name tags. So we doddled going back to the resdience, looking at the flags of all the countries and the pictures of all the mission presidents. It was very peaceful in that building with no one else there. We have had a lot of subs because of the holidays. One of our subs gave us shimai only praise for our lessons! Whohoo! Miller Shimai made us dream catchers. It is very beautiful. I think it has real eagle feathers on it. King Choro got 18+ letters because they had been piling up in the mail office because of the holidays.
Fri
Mattson Choro (one of the choro from another district) left the MTC. He didn't say why, but he was very upbeat about the whole thing. He said that he hopes to be back soon, but he has things to work out. Abraham Shimai caught the stomach flu. There is an announcement everyday that we should not shake hands or give hugs or even touch our own face. Ha. Sister Miller got a package with party hats and noisemakers. Fun fun fun! We have a running superhero story in our class which I may also send home in a letter, but I may hold off in hopes that it continues to develop. It is quite intricate. The sempai (upper classmen) were leaving, so Breck Shimai and Oi Shimai were sad. It's just the three of us Japanese shimai left in the whole MTC. Here's a fun statistic for you: there are 2031 missionaries in the Provo MTC alone and 327 missions total in the world.
Sat
In PE, I made 36 out of 76 baskets. We made a goal not to write on the chalkboards because they are becoming a distraction/excuse. I'm not sure Miller Shimai can last a whole week without drawing on the chalkboard. The workshop again was fantastic. We three shimai had the opportunity to teach Oi Shimai before she left. It was a little nervewracking, but it went well. Abraham Shimai got a blessing and almost immediately felt better. Not healed completely, but better. It was Egbert Choro's first time giving a blessing. I prayed to know how to help improve the other people in my district, and when I read ch 1 of PMG, I got my answer. The Lord really does answer prayers.
Sun
Sister Eston? Eaton? Black gave the devotional. She talked about Joseph Smith and his family. Apparantly Alvin Smith was quite handsome. Her husband was extremely funny. We took lots of pictures with the sempai because it was their last Sunday. So the Russian missionaries that we talked to on our first day have kept an eye out for us and we've kept an eye out for them. We've made good friends in them. We're beginning to make good friends with the Cambodian misssionaries across the hallway. There is one who is from Burusus (I think that's how you spell it). It is an island near Madagascar.  He has an awesome accent. They had REAL LIFE CURRY for lunch. It was soooooooooooooooooooo good. I wish I could have more. I learned alot about faith this week. We were told the story of a man in England who was arguing with the missionaries just to argue. He said that there was no God and that he could prove it. He said that he could open the scriptures to any page and prove that there was no God. He opened to Alma 30:44 (Look it up). Needless to say he was silent for quite a while.
Mon
Abraham Shimai got snuggies in the mail. We aren't sure what to do with them because the building we live in is always extremely warm. We still have SO much candy. I plan on keeping it for the kohai (underclassmen) that are coming Jan 9. That way I can buy their love with candy, mwa ha ha ha. King Choro got a hold of black licorice somehow. I probably ate too much of it. Sister Miller found a fly in her salad. I hope it doesn't happen again. There was a pie that seemed to be pecan pie, but it litterally burned your mouth when you ate it like sticking a tsp of cinnamon in your mouth. It wasn't cinnamon-y though. Eitherway, none of us finished them. We taught Nishimura Shimai about fasting and she said she'd die if she tried. She threw the tithing and fast offering pamphlet back at us. We were all laughing. We refferred her to 1 Ne 3:7. If there's a will, there's a way!
Tue
Temple is still closed, so we aren't sure what we want to do for all of today...Sleep alot I guess.
 
Lots of love
Leah



No comments:

Post a Comment