Monday, February 18, 2013


Wohoo! I'm finally here in Japan! The keyboards here are mostly the same as in the states but with a few exceptions so if I make more typos it's because things are not where my fingers are expecting them to be. Answers to questions: Amazingly I do not have jet lag, I do have something to play my cd's on, I did get all of the packages and pictures, my P-day is now Monday (right now it's noon but for you I think it's 2 in the morning). Do you still need my credit card number Dad? Has anything been started with my mission plaque? If not, don't worry about it right now. Wait until Claire's wedding is done and then do it. I have two weeks worth of writing to do in about the same amount of time, so I'm going to be brief.
We had two new bunk beds put in our room so that the MTC can hold more sisters. I have no idea how they are going to fit all of their clothes into 4 closets and 4 desks, though.
Elders came with mattresses to put on the new beds. They looked like ants with marshmallows going from the truck to the building and up the stairs. I got the cupcakes, they were delicious! One was red velvet, yum, one was chocolate with a malt ball on top, double yum, two were cherry with actual cherries in the center, one was mint, and one was vanilla. I didn't eat them all myself, I did share with others.
In-Field Orientation. Longest day ever. It went from 8-5 with one break for lunch. It was interesting and they had a lot of good things, but I think it could definitely be shorter. Instead of doing our "personal gym time" we packed and the kohai sisters sat in our room. We each shared how we felt when we got our mission calls and why we decided to go on a mission. It was uplifting.
I had an enormous salad for dinner. It was good. We finnaly got 4 shimai in all 4 squares in 4 square. At last my dream has come true.
Took lots of pictures, but I didn't cry. We did our laundry as a zone (at least those of us who were leaving) and so we just hung out with each other until our laundry was done and then we went back to our rooms to pack.
Lots of devotionals. Departure, normal Sunday devotional, sacrament meeting farewell. I got a blessing from King choro before we left (the other shimai got blessings too, and actually the choro gave eachother blessings). Packing is always stressfull.
Only got about an hour of sleep. I went to bed on time but I couldn't fall asleep for the longest time. Woke up at 3 to put away pajamas and toiletries and such. I hugged a lot and Miller Shimai just kinda held me for a while. Riding through Provo very early in the morning reminded me of 100 Dresses and riding to the elementary schools. Had a nice view of the temple as we got to SLC. I wish I could have talked longer. I tried to call back in Detroit but my phone card said I didn't have sufficient funds. Stupid phone cards. At least Mother's Day is soon. LONG LONG LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG flight.
Tue (well, kinda Tue. In Japan it was Tue night)
Got off the plane and felt the humidity. Wonderful. Met President and Sister Baird, Brother and Sister Barney, and the APs at the airport entrance. After the presidency greeted everyone they vanished and the APs took over. We got on a train and had to practice approaching people on the train. We met one lady who had read the entire Bible and one man who had been Christian in the past but when his parents died he didn't practice anymore. We got off the train and went to the mission home. They had heated toilet seats there. I was still full from the plane, but the fed us dinner. I did my best to eat as much as I could, but my system rebelled. I was nauseous the whole night. As such, I didn't get much sleep that night. The bed was extremely comfortable, so I wish I could have enjoyed it more.
We had breakfast and a little orientation. We had a short interview with Baird Kaicho and learned where we were going. I am in a town to the west of Nagoya (across the bay) called Yokkaichi (it sounds just like it's spelled) and then met our trainers. Her name is Jolea Rogers. She is from Brisbon, Australia. She's been out about a year and trained once before. She has a good relationship with the ward members and investigators. We had a small testimony meeting then off into the world! We registered as foreigners and then had lunch at an Indian restaurant. It was delicious. We got on the train and went straight to a lesson where we taught English. I wasn't sure what I was doing at all. Getting off the train inYokkaichi felt like being home. It really did feel like being in Indianapolis. I'm not sure why.
We taught an investigator over the phone. We went to the bike shop and bought a bike. It is white with a hard seat. I have to face my fears every day, but I suppose that is why a mission makes you a different person. We got groceries. I had no idea what most of the vegetables and packages were. My suitcases arrived and I unpacked. We went out and pushed a few doorbells. We visted an old grandmother (a member) and talked about things. I only understood about 30%. Still full from dinner at the mission home.
Met the 4 chorotachi in this district: Ito (DL), Seipel, Jones, and Wilkinson. We traveled 45 min on our bikes to an appointment. It was also raining. Ugh.
I lost sight of Rogers Shimai on her bike and as such just wandered back and forth on the street trying to see which alley she went down. It was only for like 2 min though. She found me quickly.
I introduced my self at church. We taught a lesson to an investigator during Sunday School. Everything he talked about makes me think he is one of the white fields ready to harvest. The trouble is getting an appointment with him. Had daikon radish for the first time. It is much like celery or waterchestnuts, watery, little flavor, crispy. It was Ito choro's birthday, so we ding dong ditched their apt with a present.
I love being in Japan (my nose finally doesn't hurt because there's humidity now!), I love my compainion, I love our apt, I love Baird Kaicho, and I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment