Monday, April 29, 2013

Week 11 (I knew she looked different in her pictures - Claire)

Transfer calls. We waited with anxious breath for the call to come and guess what: I didn't transfer but I have a new companion! Her name is Shizuka Eguchi, she's 25, she's from a place in between Tokyo and Mt Fuji, and she plays the piano. So on that Mon, Sis Rogers hastily packed and then anxiously waited all day for the moving truck to come and get her boxes. We had dinner that night with a member family.
I cried practically all day. I think it had a lot to do with I didn't get a good night's sleep because I was full of worries, so the waterworks were on. Not exactly the best first impression.

SO MUCH RAIN. For the English teaching class, since Sister Eguchi doesn't speak much English, I'm now teaching the intermediate class and Elder Moretti from Brazil is teaching the beginning class. I think it will be good for him and them. We didn't eat dinner because we had a huge lunch kind of late in the day (curry, yum yum). The preacher we found dropped us. What a loss. After the English class, we had a meeting with the bishop and the ward mission leader. The bishop asked me a question and he was surprised that I could understand him. I was like, "where is your confidence in me, bishop? Haven't I been here for almost three months? Don't you know me?" It hurt my heart a little.
We went to visit a less active and ended up staying there a whole lot longer than we had time to spend there. She wanted us to talk to the missionary who baptized her all those many years ago over skype. I could feel that missionary and his family's hope for this less active. I also got some figurines from this less active. Part of me was happy and the other part of me was like, "what am I going to do with these? I feel like as a missionary I'm not supposed to have them." So they're sitting inside my desk. An investigator passed her baptismal interview! I was very worried that she wouldn't. We rode to an investigator's house in the dark. It was a different view than in the day time. We also met her husband for the first time. I was afraid that he would get angry or not want us to visit her again, but he was very normal. I've noticed that when I speak English, I speak slowly now. It's become a habit from teaching English to beginners I suppose.
The less active we visited called us about the scripture we left with her and it turned into a 45 min lesson over the phone. I felt filled with the spirit, so much so that I felt like a whip or a sword or something. At the same time, I felt love for this woman. It was a bizarre combination. It rained, so we wore raincoats. By the end of the day, the inside of my jacket felt like a swimming pool. Gross. One of our investigators had a dream about baptism! Instead of being baptized in water, he was baptized in curry. I'm not sure how to interpret that, but I think it's good.
I've lost 28 lbs! One of our investigators shared with us a big worry of hers. It was comforting to me that she would open up to us, but it also made my heart heavy over worrying about her. I had takoyaki (little pieces of octopus inside fried batter balls) for the first time. It was delicious but super hot so I burnt my tongue. We met an angry grandma while housing. We didn't even get past we're missionaries before she said "No. I hate it I hate it I hate it." I walked away laughing because it just seemed like a classic missionary experience.
Our investigator didn't show up to sacrament meeting so her baptismal service had to be postponed. In our mission, you have to come 3 times before you can be baptized and she's only come 2 times. One of the members gave a talk about missionary work and he mentioned some of the things that I've done. I felt grateful that he had confidence in me and warmed by the praise he gave me. We spent an hour looking for a less active's house and had a 2 minute conversation with her. Oh well. It was nice weather to be out and about.

No comments:

Post a Comment